UL 1974: Standard for Repurposing of Batteries
The transportation and energy ecosystems have undergone a dynamic transition globally with a paradigm shift from lead-acid to lithium-ion batteries. This shift to batteries with high capacity demands effective Energy Storage Systems.
Battery Energy Storage Systems help creates better efficiency, increased stability, and capacity for the grid by saving energy for later use. As we scale up the production and usage of energy storage systems, it is critical to establish, understand and follow standards and safety precautions to avoid future predicaments.
On this background, IESA in association with Underwriters Laboratories Inc. executed a Masterclass Series in 2022 on Safety and Standards of Energy Storage Systems.
IESA celebrates 2023 as the year for Safety and announces Masterclass Series 2023 on Battery Energy Storage Standards in association with UL Standards & Engagement.
The series will have six sessions explaining six UL standards in detail, the implementation procedure, and inputs to overcome implementation challenges.
UL 1974: Standard for Repurposing of Batteries is the fifth session in the Masterclass series. The other sessions are:
- UL 1973: Safety Standard for Batteries for use in Stationary and Motive Auxiliary Power Applications
- UL 2271: Safety Standard for Batteries for use in LEV
- UL 9540: Safety Standard for Energy Storage Systems and Equipment
- UL 9540A: Standard for Test Method for Evaluating Thermal Runaway Fire Propagation in Battery Energy Storage Systems
- UL 2580: Safety Standard for Batteries for use in Electric Vehicles
This Program is Good for
- Battery Manufacturers and Traders
- Battery Consultants
- Engineers, Technicians, Designers, and Quality Management Professionals from
- Battery Recycling Units
- ES Enthusiasts
- ESS Project Stakeholders
- Teaching professionals and engineering students
- A detailed explanation of the UL 1974 standard
- User perspective on standard implementation
- Implementation challenges
- Question and Answer session
Speaker: LaTanya Schwalb, Rebecca Le